The Drought

I love music. Yes, it's obvious, I know. I go through albums and mixtapes like it's my job (kinda wish it was...). They haven't yet invented a subscription music service that gives me ALL the music I want (And until then, I will continue to say that the digital music industry, globally, needs to step up its game). But it's like the good artists are taking a sabbatical. Right now, I miss Corinne Bailey Rae, Maroon 5, Lauryn Hill, and Erykah Badu. I'm sad because I can't really expect them to suddenly appear with music anytime soon. Maroon 5 takes their time with each album, which I appreciate, because their last two albums have been amazing. Corinne Bailey Rae lost her husband last year, and has barely recorded anything since. Lauryn Hill has been on hiatus for years, and the only track we've heard from her since only makes me sadder that her career kinda just stopped and never really started back up again, despite claims and rumors that she has recorded many tracks. And yes, I know Erykah Badu released New Amerykah Part I last year, but I wish she'd hurry up and release part II.

Usually I find another artist to keep me occupied until my favorites release new music, but there's nobody right now. I mean, nobody. I'm going to see Drake in concert this week, and I'm not even excited. And I love Drake. I have Bat for Lashes's new album on my iPod but I feel like I've listened to it all already. New music does nothing for me, and old music is... well, old. What's going on?

Maybe this whole music thing was a phase, and I'm finally phasing out. Or maybe I have too much music, and the good stuff is hidden under all the extra fodder I've collected to fill my iTunes library. Or maybe I'm realizing that music can never be "new". Everything that you've done has probably been done before in some form or shape. Every new beat is modeled off an old one, every new lyric or tune is a tribute to its ancestors. The last time I felt excitement or enthusiasm about a new artist or song was in February.

What makes music special then?



Anybody?

Comments

Popular Posts