Quick Take: Girls' Generation, "Paparazzi"



Hmm. If I were to sum up the song in one word, that would be it.

I've never thought SNSD put out the best music in k-pop or j-pop. But I've also never thought their music was generic. Unfortunately, that's how I'd describe this track. It sounds like something that any old pop group could put out. The now-obligatory dubstep breakdown doesn't help - they could have done without that section completely if you ask me.

Which isn't to say it's a bad song, because it's not, but rather that I've always thought that their music had a unique quality to it - that the songs were written for them and not for anyone else. And I don't hear that in this song. I think it'll work for them though - they've hit on everything that's hot in J-pop right now, and given it a Western flair that should please international audiences. But I do hope that they come up with something a little more unique for their follow-up singles and the eventual album.

The video's pretty. Not sure about the styling, but they're working the song and the choreo. The dance version in particular is a whole lotta hotness. I don't know what was going on in the intro though: first military drums over Ravel's Bolero, then "Singing In the Rain" - as the lead-up to an electro-pop track? #confused

Comments

  1. totally agree. I do enjoy most of GG songs (except Oh!, it's just too annoyingly cute, and Genie, it's nothing very special, like a female copy of SJ's Sorry Sorry). This song is not bad but it does not seem to be as catchy as the ones they have done. For some reason it reminds me of Britney Spears' typical songs, not GG usual style. It's still catchy though, I like the Boom Boom part, I suppose it's the camera clicking sound? The beginning and the end of the vid however threw me off due to the "Singin' in the rain" song. It does not seem to belong to the theme of the vid and the song. It's just there! A bad touch. And since I've been a great fan of "Singin' in the rain", I feel a bit insulted.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts