Cellos

In the past 3 years, I have come to have great respect for the cello as an instrument. I'm no classical music buff, so I always went crazy for the ridiculous violin or piano solos, but I never thought about how versatile other classical instruments could really be. When I got to college, I happened upon a group of played who played classic rock anthems on cellos. Yes, on cellos. At first, I was like, no way. Then I went to a show, and I was blown away. Stairway to Heaven never sounded so good (except maybe when Rodrigo y Gabriela covered it.)


Stairway to Heaven - Low Strung

I had also never really thought that classical instruments could be used outside the orchestra, but again, I was mistaken. I discovered Esperanza Spalding through Afrobella, and I have been a fan ever since. Not only is this girl ridiculously talented (she was named an instructor at the Berklee College of Music when she was 20), but she uses the bass as her major instrument, as opposed to the usual jazz piano, guitar or saxophone. Crazy.


I Know You Know - Esperanza Spalding

I'm definitely going to look more into classical music - right now I only have a little Beethoven and the Peer Gynt Suite. All suggestions welcome. In the meantime, check out the cover of Dona Nobis Pacem (Cello Solo) in the widget on the right. It's RIDICULOUS. He did the beatboxing himself too. And if you feel inspired, vote for him! Yo-Yo Ma will apparently pick the best entry out of all entries to record a track with him, but I think the top ten get prizes as well.

Comments

Popular Posts